McDonald, who lives in Portland, Maine, begins the four-minute piece with the title, “20 years ago I left a tape for myself.” The younger 12-year-old McDonald then appears on the screen, saying, “I think I’d like to talk to myself in the future.”
What follows is a skillfully edited chat between McDonald the Older and McDonald the Younger, covering subjects such as the state of his pets (they’re all dead now) and the Internet.
Of course, McDonald the Younger, speaking in 1992, has no idea what the Internet is, so McDonald the Older tries to explain: “It’s going to completely take over your life and you’re going to spend many hours sitting in room staring at a screen,” he tells his younger self.
While some have questioned the authenticity of the McDonald the Younger video, the creator assures viewers it’s genuine, tweeting, “If I was going to fake it, I would’ve written it differently…but I was locked into what I improvised 20 years ago.”
To us it looks like the real deal, culminating in an amusing, touching and above all entertaining piece which, incidentally, has so far received almost 80,000 likes on YouTube (against 483 dislikes). Check it out below.
- The highest-paid YouTuber is currently a 7-year-old kid
- This 87-year-old grandma eats, sleeps, and breathes ‘Animal Crossing’
- A river of stars one billion years old flows across the southern sky
- How to sell your old Samsung Galaxy (without getting ripped off)
- Saturn didn’t always have rings, according to new analysis of Cassini data