Publisher Deep Silver took to Sony’s stage at E3 2014 to announce a proper sequel to 2011’s Dead Island. The aptly-titled Dead Island 2 is expected to debut in Spring 2015.
Despite being generally well received, the original Dead Island wasn’t the breakout hit that it could have been. Regardless, Deep Silver willed it into a hit gaming franchise with the 2013 release of Dead Island: Riptide. Now the game will have a full sequel in Dead Island 2. The game will live in the same apocalyptic “paradise meets hell” world, with zombies surrounding the survivors in a sunny California setting.
Development for Dead Island 2 has been passed to Yager Development, the makers of Spec Ops: The Line. The game will utilize Unreal Engine 4. Dead Island 2 is expected for a Spring 2015 release on both the PS4 and Xbox One, with the PS4 version receiving exclusive content.
- Don’t get psyched just yet — Double Fine delays ‘Psychonauts 2’ past 2018
- ‘Guacamelee! 2’ hands-on preview
- The best of the last-gen: Our 50 favorite Xbox 360 games
- App Store guidelines require developers to disclose loot box reward chances
- Nintendo looks to make more mobile games, may have found a new partner