In continuing the trend of the series’ relationship with the west, Nintendo and Level-5 have announced a brand new Professor Layton game for the Nintendo 3DS just before the last one is ready to come out in the United States.
During Wednesday’s Nintendo Direct event that saw a pair of unusual games get announced for the resurgent handheld, Level-5 and Nintendo also unveiled Professor Layton and the Legacy of the Super Civilization A. For a series known for convoluted titles, we’ve got to applaud Level-5 for outdoing themselves.
While the trailer for Layton’s latest outing shows off the same sort of whimsical art and puzzling that made the franchise an institution over the past half decade, it’s also a bit ominous. Level-5 claims that Legacy of the Super Civilization A will be Professor Hershel Layton’s “final adventure.” Not the last game in the series mind you, but the last outing for the titular protagonist.
Don’t fret, oh ye fans of enormous brown top hats. Hershel Layton will be back for at least one other game. Level-5 is still tinkering on its Capcom collaboration Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, wherein Layton and Phoenix Wright will take turns pointing at stuff.
- Report names Bandai Namco as the developer behind ‘Metroid Prime 4’
- Digital Trends looks back on its favorite games of 2017
- From ‘Anthem’ to ‘Smash Bros. on Switch,’ here are the games coming to E3 2018
- ‘Super Smash Bros.’ and ‘Splatoon 2’ DLC lead a crammed Nintendo Direct
- Time for a Switch? Nintendo dominated Amazon’s best-selling games list for 2017