According to the Germany weekly news magazine, Focus, as reported by Reuters, the new line of luxury vehicles will be based on the technology of Mercedes Benz’s compact A-Class. The line-up is expected to kick off with a small SUV in 2015, which will be even smaller than the new GLA compact crossover set to debut at the Shanghai Auto Show later this month.
A three-door model targeted at potential Mini buyers is expected in 2016, according to Focus.
News of the new Mercedes line-up is the latest in a growing trend among luxury carmakers to develop more compact entry-level cars to appeal to a new consumer base who are looking for more practicality as well as luxury in a vehicle.
Prices for all cars in the new Mercedes-Benz line-up will range between 17,000 euros ($22,300) and 20,000 euros, according to Focus.
- U.S. Cellular gives you unlimited data on four lines, but read the fine print
- Cadillac’s downsized XT4 SUV aims to give people what they want
- Five years on, Microsoft’s Surface has made your PC better
- Draw a line on the world around you with Google’s ‘Just a Line’ ARCore app
- The new Audi A6’s familiar design hides a smarter, cleaner sedan