Ok, so the “400” in the Volkswagen Golf R 400’s name refers to its metric horsepower rating. It actually makes 395 hp, but that’s still quite impressive for a car with VW Golf badges.
Set to debut at the 2014 Beijing Motor Show, the Golf R 400 could be the ultimate Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG killer if it ever makes it to production. It will do 0 to 62 mph in 3.9 seconds, and reach a top speed of 174 mph.
That performance comes courtesy of a modified version of the 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine used in the regular Golf R, which sends its power to all four wheels through a six-speed dual-clutch transmission.
The sketches released by VW reveal more aggressive styling to match the more aggressive power output. The Golf R 400 has flared fenders that harken back to the 1988 Rallye Golf G60, bigger wheels, and revised front and rear fascias with special yellow trim.
The Golf R 400 will also reportedly be lighter than the standard Golf R, with a stripped-down, race-inspired interior.
We’ll get a better look at the Volkswagen Golf R 400 concept in a few days when the 2014 Beijing Motor Show opens, and hopefully find out if VW has any plans to put it into production.
- This fully autonomous $400 drone folds like a book, follows you like a paparrazzo
- Get a refurbished Apple 12-inch MacBook for $400 less than price of a new one
- The $400 Oculus Quest brings more power to untethered VR gaming
- Bullet time on a budget: Insta360’s $400 One X camera is ready for action
- Bose one-ups Apple, Amazon with a $400 smart speaker, two new soundbars