Music fuels Sunset‘s beating heart, with a dynamic soundtrack that layers in more and more pieces of multi-track mixes as the intensity of the action on the screen ramps up. The soundtrack breaks out the various songs that were chopped to bits in the game — from a variety of modern and up-and-coming punk outfits like Bass Drum of Death, Cheap Time, Dan Sartain, and more — into their own, full-fledged cuts.
Insomniac assembled Sunset Overdrive‘s musical wizardry with the help of Pyramind Studios, which served as producer on the 42-song soundtrack. Some of the music was created in-house by players assembled to form “fictional” bands and the rest was pulled from the known punk world. You can get a sense of how it all came together in the above video, which dives behind the scenes with Pyramind for a peek into the process there.
The digital release of the soundtrack culls the 42-track listing down to 18. You can check it out right here:
- “This Is The End” performed by Boats!
- “We’re Gonna Have A Party” performed by Dan Sartain
- “Smell The Night” performed by Bass Drum of Death
- “Unknown Town” performed by Meat Market
- “Total Annihilation” performed by Cheap Time
- “Feel The Hate” performed by Brenna Red
- “Folding Socks” performed by Meat Market
- “OD Life” performed by Dan Sartain
- “Different Answer” performed by Boats!
- “I Don’t Want Your Company” performed by Meat Market
- “I’m On The Run” performed by Bass Drum of Death
- “Horror Night” performed by Cheap Time
- “I’ve Got Gunz” performed by Boats!
- “Violence” performed by Meat Market
- “Between The Lines” performed by Bass Drum of Death
- “More Action” performed by Cheap Time
- “Alright OK” performed by Boats!
- “No One Else” performed by Meat Market
- The best Xbox 360 games of all time
- Sunset Overdrive goes free for Xbox Games with Gold in April
- We are the champions, my friends: Queen releases its first game for iOS and Android
- Mystery of the Mooil Rig takes Sunset Overdrive out to sea
- Grand Theft Auto V is here (again), and it’s got a whole mess of new music