The annual IndieCade event has been described as the Sundance of the video game industry. Each year a panel of judges will select the best independently developed games of the year, in categories ranging from Best of Show to Visual Design to Audio Design and more. This year’s show was held from October 3-6 in Culver City, CA, and you can find the full list of winners below (via Shacknews).
Arguably, the four biggest awards are all for Best of Show, and they are awarded by different groups: the Grand Jury, an Audience Award, a Media Award, and the Developer Choice. While all four are respected, the Grand Jury award is the most prestigious, and this year’s winner was Quadrilateral Cowboy from developer Blendo Games. The single player puzzle game is expected to release for PC later this year.
The rest of the winners are as follows:
- Grand Jury Award – Quadrilateral Cowboy (Blendo Games)
- Audience Choice Award – SlashDash (Nevernaut Games)
- Media Choice Award – TowerFall (Matt Thorson)
- Developer Choice Award – Killer Queen (Joshua DeBonis & Nikita Mikros)
- Trailblazer Award – Tracy Fullertron (Spiderdance Inc., Director of the USC Game Innovation Lab)
- Special Recognition Award – Porpentine’s Twine Compilation (Porpentine)
- Technology Award – Spin the Bottle: Bumpie’s Party (KnapNok Games)
- Interaction Award – Spaceteam (Sleeping Beast Games)
- Game Design Award – Nidhogg (Messhof)
- Impact Award – Dog Eat Dog (Liwanag Press)
- Story/Word Design Award – Kentucky Route Zero (Cardboard Computer)
- Visual Design Award – Kentucky Route Zero (Cardboard Computer)
- Audio Design Award – Gone Home (The Fullbright Company)
- The 2018 Oscars: Winners and highlights from the 90th Academy Awards
- ‘Ready Player One’ review
- 4 cameras and a mirror-like finish make the midrange Honor 9 Lite stand out
- With record number of images, Sony World Photo Awards show the world’s diversity
- Apple HomePod vs. Amazon Echo vs. Google Home: Which is best?