Nintendo has shared details of the second batch of Amiibo figurines, which are set for release in early 2015. It’s a lineup that includes an assortment of Super Smash Bros. characters, like Meta Knight, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Lucario.
The second wave of figures arrive in Japan on January 22, 2015, with three more to follow in February. Nintendo hasn’t shared any information about what its second-wave Amiibo release plans are outside of Japan.
The following figures have been announced for the second wave:
- Toon Link
- Meta Knight
- King Dedede
Three more are set to follow:
- Sonic the Hedgehog
The first Amiibos arrive in the U.S. on November 21, coinciding with the stateside release of Super Smash Bros. Wii U. The figures contain NFC chips similar to those in Skylanders and Disney Infinity toys, which record data that can be used across games.
In Smash Bros. the figures store AI-controlled avatars of their character that can be trained and customized as a teammate, sparring partner, and autonomous fighter to do battle with your friends’ Amiibos. Nintendo has not yet announced how the figures integrate with other games, but have promised that in the future they will work with titles like Mario Kart 8.
- The 20 best Nintendo Switch games you can buy today
- ‘Super Smash Bros.’ and ‘Splatoon 2’ DLC lead a crammed Nintendo Direct
- 10 new characters we want to see in ‘Super Smash Bros. for Switch’
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ adaptation racing to theaters next fall
- ‘Super Smash Bros.’ is coming to Nintendo Switch with the Inklings in tow