New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski and Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch did battle in the unreleased Mortal Kombat X with Conan O’Brien officiating, in anticipation of this weekend’s upcoming Super Bowl XLIX showdown.
The series’ notorious gore is on display in brutal fatalities that are actually a little much for Conan, but also for Marshawn, which is surprising coming from a guy who calls himself “Beast Mode.” His gaming preferences are a bit more whimsical, with Mario Kart his preferred way to unwind. The players also demonstrate for Conan their touchdown dance moves before O’Brien shows them an elaborate scoring pantomime of his own.
Despite Rob’s best efforts to give Marshawn a thorough Gronking, the Seahawks running back’s tested (and uncomfortably sexual looking) button mashing technique carries him to the day’s overall victory. O’Brien, a Boston native, initially lets his hometown bias rule and calls the match a draw, but retracts the tie and offers the prize to its rightful winner when Gronkowski makes a lewd joke with the grotesque trophy.
Mortal Kombat X, developed by NetherRealm Studios, is set to arrive on PlayStation, Windows, and Xbox platforms on April 14, 2015.
- Spoiler alert: The Patriots win. ‘Madden NFL 18’ already called Super Bowl 52
- The History of the Madden Curse
- Republican politicians blame ‘Call of Duty’ and ‘John Wick’ for gun violence
- Here’s everything we know about Hideo Kojima’s mysterious ‘Death Stranding’
- Watch all the Super Bowl movie trailers from this year’s game