While we aren’t enormous fans of cinematic scenes from games without any gameplay footage, the hair on the back of our necks raised when we were presented with a desert wasteland featuring a collapsed body lying in the heat. An old car roars into frame, and a leather jacketed, double-barreled shotgun toting, spike-haired individual steps out. As the individual on the ground begs for his life, the driver lines up his shot and then …
Nothing. Cracking open the barrel, he realizes that he only has one shot left out of two. He reluctantly climbs back into his ride and roars off, giving the craggy crawler on the game a chance to live again. That is, until the car flies back into frame and flattens him. Yep, it’s Mad Max. The game is coming from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, and will feature an exclusive Road Warrior Survival Kit for the PlayStation 4. No word on if Mel Gibson will be voicing Max or not, and of course we don’t know what the game looks like at all but it’s hard not to get excited about Mad Max.
In case you’ve never seen a Mad Max movie, don’t fret. The entire Mad Max trilogy was just released on Blu-ray last week in a fairly sweet, steelboxed edition with tons of extras. You’ve got time to study up.
From the Press Release
Mad Max delivers open world gameplay in a post-apocalyptic setting where cars are the key to survival. Gamers become Mad Max, a lone warrior who must fight to stay alive in The Wasteland, using vicious on-ground and vehicular combat against savage gangs of bandits. Following the theft of his iconic Interceptor, Max must align himself with a gifted, but peculiar, mechanic named Chumbucket and others to build the ultimate war vehicle as he works to escape from the dangerous Wasteland.
- Be Mad Max – Become the iconic post-apocalyptic warrior, crafting and upgrading Max’s equipment and weapons to survive by combining melee combat, gunplay and tactical techniques. Gamers must make difficult decisions as they work towards the goal of escaping The Wasteland.
- Immersive Primal Wasteland – Explore the gritty, dynamic world while braving the treacherous landscapes, hostile weather patterns and deadly gangs of marauders.
- Trash is Treasure – Every scrap that’s scavenged is important and can be utilized to upgrade and enhance equipment, weapons and vehicles. Gamers raid enemy encampments to gain access to valuable resources.
- Survive the Open-World Landscape – Staying alive isn’t easy. Players clash with deadly factions and gangs through scores of dangerous side-missions and quests in the dynamic open-world full of exploration.
- Intense Vehicular Combat – Engage in dynamic inter-vehicular combat, taking down enemy vehicles with a range of powerful weapons. Car combat is entirely physics-based, so no two battles are ever the same.
- Build the Ultimate War Machine – Players design, customize and upgrade their ultimate combat vehicle—the Magnum Opus—choosing from different car bodies and a slew of upgrades including mounted weapons, armor and engines to survive another day.
- You can win cash with PlayStation’s new tournament feature. Here’s how to sign up
- PS5 Restock: Console could return on Cyber Monday
- And just like that, the PS5 is back in stock at Walmart – hurry!
- The best PS5 headsets
- Best PS5 game deals for November: Hours of AAA entertainment from $17