Sunset Overdrive leads the pack as autumn’s release blitz continues in the lead-in to Halloween. This week has a number of other big, new releases along with a few anticipated ports and remakes. Check out our list below to see if anything catches your eye.
Xbox One (October 28)
Insomniac has combined the inventive arsenal of their Ratchet & Clank games with the free-flowing movement of Tony Hawk Pro Skater in this open-world action game. Collect outlandish weapons to beat back hordes of mindless zombies created when Fizzco’s disastrous new energy drink, Overcharge Delirium XL, infects and mutates most of Sunset City.
Sunset Overdrive‘s bombastic action is colored by a self-aware sense of humor that embraces the silliness of video gaming conventions while executing them fantastically. There’s no pretense here–only anarchic fun.
Lords of the Fallen
Xbox One, PS4, PC (October 28)
Polish developer CI Games has taken a few cues from Dark Souls with this brutal, third-person action RPG. Take up the mantle of a cleric, rogue, or warrior and hunt down the demons and infected that have mysteriously started to flood the kingdom.
Get ready to die a few times in the name of progress. CI Games has highlighted the game’s punishing difficulty by imbuing it with interesting, push-your-luck mechanics that will challenge you to put your safety on the line by going further and faster for the promise of greater rewards.
NBA Live 15
Xbox One, PS4, PC (October 28)
The launch of this latest iteration of EA Sports’ flagship basketball franchise coincides with the opening of the 2014-2015 NBA season. It was originally slated for October 7, going head to head with chief competitor NBA 2K15, but was delayed for technical polish.
NBA Live 15 will build on the foundation of 14 to better utilize the new console’s power for sharper visuals, deeper AI simulation, and a richer multiplayer experience.
Xbox 360, PS3 (October 28)
Developer Yuke’s has been making wrestling games for 15 years, which shows in their second effort under the 2K aegis. The new 2K Showcase mode will let fans play out some of the WWE’s most famous matches.
WWE superstar John Cena headlines as cover athlete, though the Hulkamania Edition is also out there for fans wanting a bit more of an 80s and 90s flavor.
What else is coming:
- Dungeon of the Endless (PC/October 27) – This roguelike RPG from Amplitude Studios, linguistically-fixated developers of Endless Space and Endless Legend, mixes base defense in to a colorful, pixelated co-op dungeon crawl.
- Assassin’s Creed: The Americas Collection (Xbox 360, PS3/October 28) – Ubisoft has compiled Assassin’s Creed III, IV, and Liberation HD for fans of the series to catch up in anticipation of the upcoming Assassin’s Creed Rogue and Unity.
- Costume Quest 2 (PS3, PS4/October 28) – Double Fine’s lighthearted, Halloween-themed JRPG is coming to PlayStation consoles with the exclusive addition of a Sackboy costume from LittleBigPlanet.
- The Unfinished Swan (PS4, Vita/October 28) – This thoughtful morsel of fairy tale from developer Giant Sparrow uses minimal color and negative space to create a visually unique narrative experience.
- Icewind Dale: Extended Edition (PC, Mac, Linux/October 30) – This Dungeons & Dragons RPG was originally released by Black Isle in 2000, and has now received a modern makeover from the same team that recently revitalized its Infinity Engine brethren Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate 2.
- Every video game delay that’s happened in 2022
- Celebrate AAPI Heritage Month with these stellar games
- The best sports games on Xbox Series X
- All Halo Infinite multiplayer game modes explained
- Rogue Legacy 2 is the perfect ‘one more’ game