Variety has said the director Sam Raimi has signed to direct a movie version of World of Warcraft. However, it will have to wait until he finishes work on Spiderman 4, which isn’t due in theaters until next year.
Jeff Robinov, president of Warner Bros. Pictures Group, said:
“Warcraft is emblematic of the kind of branded, event films for which our studio is best known,” while Raimi added, “At its core, Warcraft is a fantastic, action-packed story.”
Raimi’s resume includes a stint as executive producer of Xena: Warrior Princess, and helming the third installment of the Evil Dead series, Army of Darkness.
World of Warcraft, of course, is a massively popular multiplayer online role-playing game with over 11 million subscribers. The most recent expansion pack sold more than 2.8 million copies on the first day of release alone, with more than 4 million copies in its first month.
- Spyro Collection or ‘Black Ops’? Activision has more remasters for 2018
- ‘Monster Hunter World’ is Capcom’s fastest-selling game of all time
- Microtransactions are coming back to ‘Star Wars Battlefront II’
- ‘Grand Theft Auto V’ still burning rubber after 4 years, tops sales of 90 million
- The top trends we saw at Mobile World Congress 2018