Variety has said the director Sam Raimi has signed to direct a movie version of World of Warcraft. However, it will have to wait until he finishes work on Spiderman 4, which isn’t due in theaters until next year.
Jeff Robinov, president of Warner Bros. Pictures Group, said:
“Warcraft is emblematic of the kind of branded, event films for which our studio is best known,” while Raimi added, “At its core, Warcraft is a fantastic, action-packed story.”
Raimi’s resume includes a stint as executive producer of Xena: Warrior Princess, and helming the third installment of the Evil Dead series, Army of Darkness.
World of Warcraft, of course, is a massively popular multiplayer online role-playing game with over 11 million subscribers. The most recent expansion pack sold more than 2.8 million copies on the first day of release alone, with more than 4 million copies in its first month.
- First Star Wars Jedi: Survivor trailer features dual-lightsaber combat, open-world teases
- Dune Awakening is an open-world survival MMO set on Arrakis
- Fastest way to farm Studs in LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
- World of Warcraft will finally unite the Alliance and Horde
- Call of Duty: Vanguard’s take on World War II can’t outdo a decade-old game