Christopher Nolan’s upcoming sci-fi epic is expected to be packed with impressive visual effects, but the first clip released by the studio offers little in the way of VFX. Instead, we get a telling glimpse at the world inhabited by its characters.
Set in a future version of Earth wherein humanity’s ecological mistakes have created a bleak outlook for the future of the human race, Interstellar follows a group of explorers who attempt to use a newly discovered wormhole to travel farther than any human astronauts of the past and bring back a solution to the crisis threatening the planet’s inhabitants. In the first clip from the film (which debuted on Time.com), a former astronaut played by Matthew McConaughey confronts the revisionist history adopted by the government to keep humanity’s focus — and feet — firmly on the Earth.
Interstellar will be released in IMAX theaters November 5, then released wide November 7. The IMAX release will occur in 225 theaters around North America.
The film is directed by Nolan and along with McConaughey, the cast includes Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Ellen Burstyn, John Lithgow, Michael Caine, Casey Affleck, and Topher Grace.
- 13 epic sci-fi novels you should read before they become blockbuster films
- Everything we know about Marvel’s ‘Black Panther’ movie so far
- The space station is about as sanitary as your run-of-the-mill bachelor pad
- Who will be the last Jedi? Everything we know about ‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’
- Get your Sagan on with 60 awe-inspiring photos of the final frontier