Some photos just don’t turn out the way we want. In many instances, it’s best to save space and get rid of them, so we’re going to show you how to delete photos on an Android device. Sometimes. however, we delete the wrong photos or decide we want to keep a snap after all, so we’re also going to show you how to recover deleted photos. Although Android smartphones may look different given many of them utilize a custom interface, the process for deleting and recovering photos is actually quite similar. Google even has its own set of standalone apps, so if you use Google Photos, the process will be the same regardless of your phone.
Deleting photos in stock Android
If you have stock Android, then you will be dealing directly with Google Photos. You can also choose to use Google Photos regardless of your smartphone’s brand, so let’s take a look at this app first.
Deleting photos while viewing them
- Tap the photo that you want to view.
- When viewing the photo, tools will appear on top of the photo at the bottom of your screen for a few second. If you don’t see them, then tap the photo once and they’ll appear again.
- Tap the trash icon in the lower-right corner. This will move the item to the trash.
- You can also tap the More menu () in the upper-right corner, and select Delete device copy. This will permanently delete the photo if you haven’t backed up the picture. Select Delete to confirm your decision.
Deleting photos in the Photos view
- Make sure you are in Photos view by selecting Photos at the bottom.
- Tap the More menu () in the upper-right corner, and tap Select in the drop-down menu. Alternatively, you can tap and hold the picture you want to delete.
- You can delete multiple photos at once by tapping on them. Selected photos feature a white check mark on a blue background in the upper-left corner.
- Tap the trash can in the upper-right corner.
Delete photos in Albums view
- Select Albums in the lower-right corner, and then select the album you want to delve into.
- Tap the More menu () in the upper-right corner, choose Select, and select the pictures you want to delete. Alternatively, you can select the date of the pictures, which will select all the pictures taken on a given day.
- Tap the More menu () again, and select Delete device copy.
- A warning will come up indicating that if the pictures aren’t backed up, they will be deleted permanently. Select Delete to confirm your decision.