In an effort to combat the Apple App Store and enhance the number of paid downloads on Android, Google is making more changes to the Android Market. The search giant announced a number of new features at Google I/O yesterday. New top app charts, an editor’s choice page, a top grossing list, trending apps, top developers, and an improved related apps engine are already available on http://market.android.com and are coming soon to the mobile Android Market. We’ve got the details below.
- Country-specific top apps: The top paid/free and new paid/free charts for games & apps will now be country specific in most major markets. Google also claims that the results will be more “fresh” and relevant.
- Top grossing: This new chart will highlight more expensive games & apps, or ones that have made the most revenue through purchases and in-app billing.
- Editor’s Choice: The Android Market staff will pick these games & apps.
- Top Developers: This chart will be filled with developers who have the highest quality and most notable apps on the Market. These developers will get a little denotation (150 of them, to start) saying they make quality games/apps.
- Trending apps: This list will show apps that are showing a lot of upward momentum on the charts. They may not be top sellers, but they are rising quickly in the ranks.
- Related apps: There is already a related apps section, but Google claims to have greatly improved it. Now you’ll see apps that are frequently browsed by those who have viewed this app and apps that people tend to install with whatever app you’re looking at.
At this rate, Google may soon need a chart to show the newest, hottest charts. Hopefully these updates won’t clutter the market more than they help it. Google needs to do its best to promote the best apps, wherever they come from.
- The best headphones for 2021
- ZTE Axon 30 Ultra vs. Google Pixel 5: Head-to-head comparison
- How to run Android apps in Windows
- Microsoft Edge vs. Google Chrome: Performance, design, security, and more
- The best Android smartwatches for 2021