Filming a historical reenactment at a recent festival in the Lipetsk region in central Russia, some poor drone pilot clearly got a little too close to the action. Watch carefully and you can see the spear-wielding guy on the ground, in full period costume, launch his weapon skyward. We have to say, it was an impressive throw, scoring as it did a perfect hit on the flying machine, sending it crashing to the ground.
The video comes courtesy of Russia Today, though the news site offers few details of the reenactment event, or, more importantly, the drone calamity.
Now, judging by the participants’ outfits, there can’t have been too many quadcopters buzzing about in the sky in the days when the battle originally took place, so perhaps the warrior was merely staying in character, protecting his people from the potentially threatening “strange noisy thing” hovering above their heads. Or maybe not.
The incident does go to show, however, that even if you’re a flying ace, there’s no telling what hazards are just around the corner, ready to turn your $1400 drone into an expensive pile of broken plastic.
- The DJI FPV series makes first-person drone flight available to everyone
- This drone-like ‘flying car’ has just taken a step toward commercialization
- Drone will attempt to rescue four dogs trapped by volcanic lava
- Check out this mega-drone designed for hefty payloads
- Flying a drone other than DJI made me instantly regret the decision