The Cabin in the Woods director Drew Goddard is close to striking a deal with Sony Pictures to direct the planned Amazing Spider-Man spin-off, Sinister Six, according to Deadline. Goddard penned the script for the movie, which is part of a Sony effort to strengthen its grip on Spidey’s cinematic universe. Also confirmed is a standalone movie based on the comic book villain Venom, to be directed by Alex Kurtzman.
The Sinister Six is a super team-up of Spider-Man villains. The original lineup featured Electro, Doctor Octopus, Kraven the Hunter, Mysterio, Sandman, and The Vulture. Of those, Electro is the only one that’s associated with Sony’s rebooted Spider-Man universe so far (he’s one of the villains in The Amazing Spider-Man 2). The movies have also featured (or will feature) Rhino, Green Goblin, and Lizard, and all three of them have been a part of the villainous crew at some point.
There’s no release timeframe yet for Sinister Six, but with the Venom spinoff director set and The Amazing Spider-Man 3 set to arrive on June 10, 2016, it’s likely that Sinister Six won’t happen until 2017 or later.
- ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’: Everything we know about the ‘Homecoming’ sequel
- From ‘Avengers’ to ‘Paddington’: These are our favorite movies of 2018
- Captain Marvel: Everything we know about the movie so far
- Box-office bosses: The highest-grossing movies of all time for each month
- Sopranos prequel movie The Many Saints of Newark now has a release date