The Cabin in the Woods director Drew Goddard is close to striking a deal with Sony Pictures to direct the planned Amazing Spider-Man spin-off, Sinister Six, according to Deadline. Goddard penned the script for the movie, which is part of a Sony effort to strengthen its grip on Spidey’s cinematic universe. Also confirmed is a standalone movie based on the comic book villain Venom, to be directed by Alex Kurtzman.
The Sinister Six is a super team-up of Spider-Man villains. The original lineup featured Electro, Doctor Octopus, Kraven the Hunter, Mysterio, Sandman, and The Vulture. Of those, Electro is the only one that’s associated with Sony’s rebooted Spider-Man universe so far (he’s one of the villains in The Amazing Spider-Man 2). The movies have also featured (or will feature) Rhino, Green Goblin, and Lizard, and all three of them have been a part of the villainous crew at some point.
There’s no release timeframe yet for Sinister Six, but with the Venom spinoff director set and The Amazing Spider-Man 3 set to arrive on June 10, 2016, it’s likely that Sinister Six won’t happen until 2017 or later.
- Morbius, the Living Vampire: What we know about Sony’s Spider-Verse movie so far
- Spider-Man 3: Everything we know about the Spider-Man: Far From Home sequel
- From Black Widow to WandaVision, here’s every Marvel show and movie coming your way
- The 51 best movies on Amazon Prime right now
- Eternals: Everything we know about Marvel’s phase 4 movie