S2 Games announced today that its forthcoming game Savage 2: A Tortured Soul will be available for free download, and that free version will offer no-charge non-commercial game play on LANs, verses the games’ internal AI (practice mode), and in tutorial mode. If they like what they see, players can purchase a game account for $29.99 to access full online gameplay.
S2 Games says the free download will not omit any of the game’s core elements, although specific features will only be available in online play, including the capability to play against other gamers online and the ability to build up their characters and save overall characteristics and item inventories.
“We pride ourselves on being truly independent and basing many of our decisions on how our fans will benefit,” said Marc DeForest, S2’s co-founder and lead designer. “By offering a fully functional game as a free download, it will give gamers an opportunity to test drive Savage 2 before actually paying for an account and playing online. As gamers, we know we would appreciate that kind of treatment ourselves, so it’s only right that we do unto others.”
Savage 2 is currently available for pre-order; players placing an order by April 15, 2006, will have access to pre-release beta editions of the game.
- The best demos, betas, and free-to-play games you can try this weekend
- Pad your collection with the best free (and totally legal) music download sites
- Wage war on a budget with 10 fun and free first-person shooters for PC and Mac
- Tired of Netflix? Here’s where to find free, legal movies online
- ‘Mario Kart Tour’ will reportedly be ‘free-to-start’ like ‘Super Mario Run’