For the entire month of August, Xbox One players will be able to download Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate for free. The updated game originally launched in 2014 and received fairly positive — if not glowing — reviews from critics and fans alike. From August 16 until September 15, WWE 2K16 will also be free on Xbox One. The wrestling game featured Arnold Schwarzenegger as a pre-order bonus, but it’s not clear if he will be included in the free version.
For Xbox 360 owners, platforming gem and friendship destroyer Spelunky will be free from August 1 to 15, followed by Beyond Good & Evil HD for the remainder of the month. As with all Xbox 360 games offered through the program recently, they are also playable on Xbox One through backward compatibility.
The latter game, which originally launched on the original Xbox, GameCube, PlayStation 2, and PC back in 2003, became a cult hit and calls for a follow-up rival only those for Half Life 3, but director Michel Ancel’s work on the independent adventure Wild make any chance of a sequel materializing very, very slim.
This month’s Games With Gold offerings should keep you busy for a long time, but we’re hoping Microsoft begins giving away more of its first-party Xbox One library in the future. Halo: The Master Chief Collection and Dead Rising 3 would both be welcome additions, especially with new entries in both games’ series scheduled to launch in the not-so-distant future.
- Xbox Countdown sale offers big savings on digital games like ‘Forza Horizon 4’
- Microsoft’s Project Scarlett: Everything we know about the next-gen game consoles
- ‘PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds’ is free to try on Xbox One right now
- Microsoft CEO says Project xCloud is the ‘Netflix for games’
- ‘The Division 2’ private beta kicks off February 7 on consoles and PC