Mad Max, the upcoming post-apocalyptic, open world, vehicular combat game from Avalanche Studios,comes to PlayStation 4, Windows, and Xbox One on September 1, 2015. Yes, that’s the same day the recently confirmed Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain arrives.
Players take on the role of Max from the long-lived film series created by George Miller. Armed with a shotgun and a souped-up car called Magnum Opus, you fight to create some semblance of order in a wasteland crawling with bands of roving bandits. Ammo is scarce, so Max needs to rely on melee weapons in addition to a variety of deadly upgrades for his ride.
The previously-announced PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions were conspicuously absent from the release date announcement. Game Informer later confirmed that they had been dropped so that Avalanche could focus on better optimizing the experience for the newer hardware.
The game has no direct connection to the upcoming film, Mad Max: Fury Road, starring Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron and set to release on May 15, 2015. If the film does well, though, its success would help draw attention to the game when it arrives a few months later.
- These are the top 40 games we’re looking forward to in 2018
- From ‘Anthem’ to ‘Smash Bros. on Switch,’ here are the games coming to E3 2018
- ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’: News, trailers, and everything we know so far
- When is the PlayStation 5 coming? Here are a few educated guesses
- Here’s everything we know about the ‘Venom’ movie