Way back in 1995 Apogee Software quietly released a little shooter known as Rise Of The Triad. Though the game was originally meant to be an expansion pack for id Software’s Wolfenstein 3D, these initial plans were scrapped when id co-founder John Carmack decided to cancel the project, lest it distract shooter fans from a then-upcoming id title known simply as DOOM. Having put so much work into the project however, Apogee decided to strip out all the parts of the game that were id property and instead release the title as an unrelated first-person shooter known as Rise Of The Triad.
In doing so however, Apogee needed some way to compete in the increasingly overpopulated shooter market, and Rise Of The Triad’s solution is as simple as it is ingenious: Instead of a small collection of relatively realistic weaponry, players can find an in-game arsenal full of over-the-top explosives, man-portable columns of flame and the hilariously blasphemous “Dog Mode” which turns the idea of video game invulnerability on its head by transforming players not into an indestructible deity, but instead into an angry, ravenous pooch. Though Rise Of The Triad never managed to draw attention away from the most beloved shooter of all time, it did cultivate a very dedicated niche fan base, and the game is remembered fondly to this day.
That should come as a boon to Apogee Software, as the developer has just announced a nascent agreement with Interceptor Entertainment to bring a new Rise Of The Triad sequel to store shelves. The official press release offers an in-depth list of the game’s features:
Set for release on PC via Steam late this year, “Rise of the Triad” is packed with features that are sure to melt your face off:
- Step into the shoes of the H.U.N.T. (High-Risk United Nations Taskforce) with five unique characters, each with different play styles.
- Blast through over 20 of levels of explosive single-player action.
- Unique multiplayer maps bring back all the fun and excitement of classic ROTT.
- The full arsenal of over-the top weapons is back, including the Flamewall, Firebomb, Split Missile, Drunk Missile and, of course, the Excalibat!
- The maniacal modes return, too, with God mode, Elasto mode, Mercury mode, Shrooms mode and everyone’s favorite, Dog mode!
- Build your own levels, mods and share them with Valve’s Steamworks.
- Offline single-player and multiplayer allows for instant action.
- Find tons of secrets, collectables, special events and hidden areas to explore.
- Get more than 100 achievements to add to your score, which is tracked on our worldwide leaderboard and stat-tracking system.
- ROTT is bloodier and more ludicrous than ever, with full character and enemy dismemberment.
- The iconic original soundtrack has been completely re-forged in the fires of heavy metal!
- Nostalgia abounds with the option to play with all the original sounds and music.
- Built on fully-licensed Unreal Engine 3 technology, ROTT will run on low-end PCs and push high-end PCs to their limits!
- Every confirmed and rumored PS5 game so far
- Every confirmed and rumored Xbox Series X game so far
- The best Sega Dreamcast games of all time
- The best free FPS games you can play right now
- The best Sega Genesis games of all time