Getting your deliveries is about to get easier than ever. Thanks to a new partnership between online retailer Jet and smart access system Latch, you may be spared those “we missed you” slips from the mailman. Now, more than 100,000 residents of 1,000 buildings in New York City will be able to take advantage of the Latch residential “R” system, which pulls together a reader, door controller, and management system to allow deliverymen and women easy but safe access to your home.
The 1,000 units that will be installed at the onset of this partnership will be pre-programmed to grant access to all of Jet’s delivery partners, but others can be added at building managers’ discretion.
The addition of the Latch system could be a game changer for city dwellers, particularly for those (and there are many) who live in a building without a doorman or a smart access system. And of course, Jet must be hoping that if it becomes easier to get packages at home, people will order more of these packages.
As TechCrunch reports, this is by no means the only strategy Jet is trying out to improve its delivery methods. The firm is also checking out on-demand orders and offsite storage, but for now, getting a free Latch system on your front door certainly seems like a good place to start.
- Autonomous package-delivery robots are ready to steal your mailman’s job
- The best food-delivery apps to get dinner on your doorstep
- Full-fledged drone delivery service set to land in remote Canadian community
- Bird will deliver one of its electric scooters straight to your door
- No, Amazon Day isn’t yet another shopping event, but you may find it useful