Here’s a quick news update on the weekend’s news that Eddie Murphy is being sought by 2012 Academy Awards ceremony producer Brett Ratner to host the event. Deadline is reporting now that Murphy is officially in, with the actor having officially given the gig a thumbs up.
It’s not quite as certain as an official press release perhaps, but Deadline is about as trusted a source as you can find in this game. Expect the night to be littered with cracks from Murphy about how he was snubbed in 2006 when he lost out on the Best Supporting Actor award for his Dreamgirls performance to Little Miss Sunshine‘s Alan Arkin.
“Nobody knows movies better or is a bigger cinephile than Eddie. Not Brett. Not even Quentin Tarantino. Eddie can quote scenes from every single movie word for word,” according to an “insider.” “He can bring all that experience to hosting. Plus he has Saturday Night Live experience before a live crowd. And worldwide the biggest crossover comedians are Will Smith and Eddie Murphy.”
Bravo to Murphy. What do you think of the hiring?
- 10 huge movies with stars you totally missed
- Here’s everything we know about the ‘Venom’ movie
- Netflix nabs ‘Glee’ and ‘American Horror Story’ creator Ryan Murphy in huge deal
- Apple orders new series from ‘Whiplash’ and ‘La La Land’ director
- NBA star Kevin Durant working on a scripted series based on his life for Apple