The first trailer for Dead Rising: Watchtower has arrived, and the footage from the upcoming feature-length film based on Capcom’s wildly successful video game series is packed with all manner of gore, mayhem, and the dark humor that made the franchise so popular.
Scheduled to begin streaming on Crackle in March, Dead Rising: Watchtower unfolds during an outbreak of the zombie plague that results in a large-scale, military-enforced quarantine. As the four lead characters attempt to avoid becoming infected — or becoming a meal for the rapidly increasing population of zombies — they begin to uncover a conspiracy that might put blame for the outbreak on the government itself, and a host of heavily armed people who don’t want that secret to get out.
The film stars Jesse Metcalfe (Dallas), Meghan Ory (Once Upon a Time), Virginia Madsen (Sideways), Dennis Haysbert (24), and Rob Riggle (21 Jump Street). Riggle plays the protagonist of the first game in the franchise, snarky photojournalist Frank West, and the trailer suggests that his character’s attitude hasn’t changed much in making the jump from game to movie.
The trailer also features a few scenes that should be familiar to fans of the game franchise, with several characters wielding the sort of homemade amalgams of weapons that are one of the franchise’s hallmarks.
Dead Rising: Watchtower will begin streaming March 27 on Crackle.com.
- ‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’: Everything we know about the sequel so far
- Latest ‘Tomb Raider’ trailer offers a new origin for Lara Croft
- Watch all the Super Bowl movie trailers from this year’s game
- ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’: News, trailers, and everything we know so far
- Ubisoft backtracks, won’t drop $40 edition of ‘Rainbow Six Siege’ after all