Alphabet’s Google gets hit with a $6.8 million fine for violating Russia’s anti trust laws. Jeremy Kaplan, Editor in Chief of Digital Trend, talks to Morgan Brennan From CNBC Tech Bet regarding Google and the ecosystem of apps on Google phones that is being questioned.
The general concern is that with Google’s long list of apps on their phones it makes it hard for local competitors to compete. Why would you look for something else when it already exists on your phone? In China they faced a similar situation and pulled their apps allowing local developers to create and succeed instead of only seeing American companies dominate the market.
Google’s decision on policy moving forward will be very telling. If they change their policies they will find themselves not competing in two of the largest markets.
- The best Android smartwatches for 2021
- The 100 best Android apps (September 2021)
- The best podcasts of 2021
- The best game-streaming services for 2021
- Android vs. iOS: Which smartphone platform is the best?