EA Sports UFC, the publisher’s first release under the popular mixed martial arts competition’s banner, now gets its first content update, offering new fighters and new mechanics. And best of all, it’s free!
The update introduces three new fighters: welterweight Tyron Woodley (currently #3 in the official UFC welterweight rankings), bantamweight Takeya Mizugaki (the up-and-comer looking to fight a top 10 fighter), and current bantamweight champion TJ Dillashaw. This brings the roster of UFC fighters in the game to an even 100, though EA promises this is just the first of many content updates. A video showcasing the new fighters can be seen below.
In addition to the new fighters, the update also improves on some of the mechanics, including new fight mechanics designed to give players more flexibility as they duke it out in the Octagon. Here’s a rundown of what’s new, ripped straight from the official announcement:
- Touch Gloves: Users will now have the ability to manually make their fighter touch gloves (or choose not to touch gloves) before beginning to fight by pressing L2 on PS4 or LT on Xbox One. This can be done at the start of every round, or anytime the ref stands the fighters up.
- Finish the Fight: During a knockout, the attacking fighter can jump on their downed opponent and “finish the fight” by delivering extra strikes as the knockout occurs.
- Sprawls: The defending fighter now sprawls when successfully defending against a power takedown.
- Clinch Break from the Cage: Fighters now have the ability to break out of a clinch when pressed against the fence by pressing the L3 button.
- Power Takedowns and Sweeps: Power takedowns and side control sweeps have been removed from fighters who would not normally have them.
- Stamina: Stamina no longer regenerates if the user holds block. The user will also take a larger stamina penalty if hit while weak blocking.
- Sweep Defense: The dominant fighter in the Full Guard position now has a larger window to reverse the Full Guard sweep to Mount.