Skip to main content

Crypto miners have busted through Nvidia’s LHR graphics cards yet again

When Nvidia introduced its Lite Hash Rate (LHR) GPU cores, it seemed like an answer to cryptocurrency miners. Like the limiter featured on early RTX 3060 models, though, miners have found another way to bypass the LHR cores — and this time, they can take full advantage of the GPU’s power.

To combat the demand from miners, Nvidia added Lite Hash Limiter technology to its new graphics cards. That included all cards except the RTX 3090. This was meant to make them much less attractive to Ethereum (ETH) miners, as the LHR core limited the ETH hash rate, but it seems that the miners come out on top.

Graphics cards in a crypto mining farm.
NurPhoto/Getty Images

NBMiner was the first to bypass the limiter by restoring up to 70% mining performance to Nvidia’s RTX 30-Series cards. While this brought back a large portion of the card’s mining power, it still left 30% unused. However, mining enthusiasts found another workaround. Cue T-Rex — a program that allows its users to dedicate the remaining 30% of GPU power towards mining a second cryptocurrency.

While T-rex lets users mine two currencies at once, only 30% of graphics card power can be dedicated to mining ETH. The remaining 70% can be put towards mining something less profitable instead. This is an interesting choice that might make the software less profitable to those who strongly prefer maximizing the much more expensive Ethereum mining potential.

Get your weekly teardown of the tech behind PC gaming
Check your inbox!

Anyone who has tried to build a PC in the last year or so knows full well that the market is difficult right now. The best graphics cards are amongst the most difficult components to find. Nvidia RTX 30-series GPUs are excellent for mining. Add to that the fact that there aren’t many cards in stock to begin with, let alone at their recommended prices, and also the fact that most are snapped up by scalpers — we’re left with a bare market and many frustrated PC builders.

It’s worth noting that not all of Nvidia’s RTX 30-Series graphics cards will be able to mine two cryptocurrencies at once. Different coins have different video memory (VRAM) requirements, which means that certain pairings will not be made available to the owners of Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti and RTX 3070 Ti cards. On the other hand, RTX 3080 Ti owners should be able to pair most currencies, as these cards have at least 12GB of VRAM.

Although Nvidia has tried to make sure that its newest GPUs will only be bought by regular users, it seems that this was a largely failed attempt. Cryptocurrency miners continue buying and using Ampere cards in droves. That means bad news for the (already struggling) graphics card market, as we may not see an improvement in stock levels until late 2022.

Editors' Recommendations

Monica J. White
Monica is a UK-based freelance writer and self-proclaimed geek. A firm believer in the "PC building is just like expensive…
Nvidia is trying to save itself from crypto’s collapse, but it may not be able to
An Nvidia GeForce RTX graphics card seen from the side.

A new report shows that Nvidia, AMD, and Apple may all be trying to lower their chip orders from TSMC. This is a direct response to the lower demand for electronics we've been experiencing over the past few months (and the fall in GPU prices with crypto's demise). Nvidia, in particular, is in a tough spot as it may not be able to reduce its orders.

If this proves to be true, it brings up a lot of things to consider. With AMD and Nvidia soon set to release the next generation of GPUs, will the lowered consumer interest result in a drop in prices, or will the potentially smaller supply simply mean there will be fewer next-gen graphics cards to buy?

Read more
GPU prices aren’t just falling, they’re absolutely crashing from the crypto fallout
Two graphics cards sitting on top of each other.

GPU prices are dropping, and they have been for months. A new report from Bloomberg shows just how quickly they're crashing, claiming that prices have dropped by as much as 50% as the market deals with the crypto fallout.

The report lays out a compelling argument for GPU prices falling alongside the price of Ethereum, which is a trend from the crypto decline we wrote about in June. According to the data, the average price of an RTX 3080 on the secondhand market has dropped by nearly 50% since late April.

Read more
Against all odds, crypto mining on Nvidia GPUs is back again
A programmer preparing a crypto currency mining rig.

Despite Nvidia's recent attempts to limit crypto mining on its GeForce RTX 30-series graphics cards, GPU sellers and manufacturers have found a workaround -- repurposing mobile cards into custom desktop versions.

Such repurposed graphics cards offer the full mining power of a mobile Nvidia GPU, but they can be used outside of a laptop, in a typical mining setup.

Read more