If you own a Linksys router, check your phone’s app store. There’s a new version of Linksys Smart Wi-Fi coming out July 22 for Android and iOS, and it looks a lot easier to use while also adding new features. There’s even support for automatic notifications when your router goes offline.
We pointed out the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi app while reviewing routers like the massive Linksys EA9500 and the Linksys EA7500, noting that it was a relatively straight-forward interface that was easy for beginners while still usable for advanced users. But we couldn’t help but notice things looked terribly dated, with a clunky interface that didn’t feel native on iOS and Android devices
The update looks a lot better, with a design that’s more neutral. But this isn’t just a cosmetic release, there are also new features.
For one thing, you can now get a notification on your phone every time your home Internet goes down. This is useful when you’re at home, because you’ll know the problem is with your Internet connection instead of your computer, or whatever site you’re failing to load at the time. But it’s also useful when you’re on the go, wondering why your home server or security cameras aren’t working.
And that’s not the only new feature. Here are a few things the new app can do:
- Share your Wi-Fi credentials with guests easily from your phone.
- New parental control features, including blocking all Internet access at particular times. Stop your kids from browsing the web at night.
- New collection of device icons, making it easier to work out which device is which at a glance.
- Monitor the free space on any external hard drives connected to the router
The new app will work with devices running iOS 8 Android 4.0.3 and above. It supports all routers that currently support the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi app. You can find more information at the company’s website.
Update 7/21/2016: Linksys ran into issues with the launch of its app, and has postponed the roll-out to July 22.
- The best iPhone apps available right now (May 2018)
- The best apps to sell clothes will turn your unused wardrobe into cash
- The best language-learning apps for Android and iOS
- How to connect your phone to an Xbox One with the Xbox app
- Put your health first and get into shape with the best iPhone fitness apps