Skip to main content

Windows 7 use surges, while Windows 8 and 8.1 popularity falls

windows 7 still dominates the desktop os market with a 60 percent majority hp laptop
Image used with permission by copyright holder
The number of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 users out there fell last month, while Windows 7’s base continues to surge. That’s according to Net Marketshare’s latest desktop OS statistics.

In September, Windows 8’s desktop share was rated at 5.59 percent, while Windows 8.1’s was 6.67 percent. Both fell from their August rates, when those numbers were 6.28 percent and 7.09 percent, respectively. Combined, usage of Windows 8 and 8.1 desktops dropped from 13.37 percent in August, to 12.26 percent last month.

Despite the fact that Windows XP use has dropped steadily since Microsoft stopped supporting it in April of this year, it’s still about twice as popular with desktop users as Windows 8 and 8.1 are, even when put together. In August, Windows XP’s desktop share was rated at 23.89 percent. That fell slightly in September to 23.87. With the release of the free Windows 10 Technical Preview, we wouldn’t be surprised if this figure continues to fall further, and at faster rates.

Then, there’s Windows 7. Despite its age (it was first released in 2009), Windows 7’s desktop share rose from 51.21 percent in August, to 52.71 percent last month. Windows 7 is easily the most popular desktop OS in the world, and it’s as popular as it has ever been.

Now that the Windows 10 Technical Preview is out and free to use, it will be interesting to see how these numbers will shift starting next month. Windows 10’s biggest selling point right now is its refreshed Start menu. Will that be enough to win over converts from Windows XP and 7, both of which already have a Start menu?

Also, will large amounts of Windows 8/8.1 users move to Windows 10? Time will tell, and we won’t have to wait too long to find out.

Editors' Recommendations

Konrad Krawczyk
Former Digital Trends Contributor
Konrad covers desktops, laptops, tablets, sports tech and subjects in between for Digital Trends. Prior to joining DT, he…
7 Windows shortcuts I use on my gaming PC constantly
A closeup of gamer using a mechanical keyboard with rgb lighting

It doesn't matter if you have one of the best gaming desktops if you can't get around it quickly. There's a list of Windows shortcuts I use on my gaming PC on nearly a daily basis, and they might help you get around your gaming rig like a true power user.

I'm focusing on shortcuts that are helpful while playing games, so make sure to read our roundup of five helpful Windows shortcuts for getting around your machine in general.
Toggle and quickly close windows

Read more
Lenovo Yoga 9i 14 Gen 7 vs. Microsoft Surface Pro 8
The Start Menu pulled up on the Surface Pro 8.

Microsoft's Surface Pro 8 shows up on both our best 2-in-1s and best laptops lists. It's the best detachable tablet you can buy, with an advanced display and the most realistic digital inking around. But the 360-degree convertible 2-in-1 is another flexible form factor that can function better as a clamshell laptop while still providing tablet-like functionality.

One of the best convertible 2-in-1s is the Lenovo Yoga 9i 14 Gen 7, one of the first laptops released with Intel's 12th-generation CPU. It's a solid competitor to the Surface Pro 8, albeit with a very different design -- does it have what it takes to take the place of Microsoft's 2-in-1 at the top of the heap?

Read more
More PCs are running Windows XP than Windows 11
Person sitting and using an HP computer with Windows 11.

Even though Microsoft is heavily promoting its latest Windows 11 platform, adoption of the operating system has largely hit a roadblock. The latest market research suggests that Windows 11 is running on just 1.44% of all PCs on the market today, placing the latest OS behind older, legacy platforms like Windows XP and Windows 7.

For comparison, asset manager software provider Lansweeper's market data revealed that older, legacy operating systems, such as Windows XP and Windows 7, command a larger share of the market than Windows 11.

Read more