These images were released some years back, but detail just how visible the attacks were, even from space. They were taken by NASA astronaut Frank Culbertson, who was onboard the International Space Station when the World Trade Center was hit. He was the only American in space on 9/11 and his experiences are detailed in a NASA blog post.
“I saw it out the window and we took video as the second tower was collapsing,” said Culpertson (via TG Daily). “Didn’t know what was happening but I knew it was really bad because there was a big cloud of debris covering Manhattan. That’s when it really became painful because it was like seeing a wound in the side of your country.”
For a high resolution view of the image, head here. We hope you all had a safe Sunday.
- NASA’s planet-hunting TESS satellite: What you need to know
- Mars is as near to Earth as it’s been in 15 years, so Hubble took some photos
- Colby Brown isn’t afraid to fail (or fall) in pursuit of the perfect travel shot
- Boeing suffers setback in space taxi testing
- ‘Rogue medicine in a bathtub’: 4 experts on the vice and virtue of pharma hacking