These images were released some years back, but detail just how visible the attacks were, even from space. They were taken by NASA astronaut Frank Culbertson, who was onboard the International Space Station when the World Trade Center was hit. He was the only American in space on 9/11 and his experiences are detailed in a NASA blog post.
“I saw it out the window and we took video as the second tower was collapsing,” said Culpertson (via TG Daily). “Didn’t know what was happening but I knew it was really bad because there was a big cloud of debris covering Manhattan. That’s when it really became painful because it was like seeing a wound in the side of your country.”
For a high resolution view of the image, head here. We hope you all had a safe Sunday.
- An amateur astronomer just discovered a long-lost NASA zombie satellite
- Did the Curiosity Rover just discover evidence of alien fossils on Mars?
- The space station is about as sanitary as your run-of-the-mill bachelor pad
- NASA and Google A.I. team up and discover a new planet
- Water is not only available on Mars, it’s easily accessible, NASA finds