The drone was trying to carry phones, marijuana, and tobacco into the Lee Correctional Institution in Bishopville, South Carolina. Prison authorities found the drone wreckage outside the facility, and have been investigating the case since April. Now, they have arrested a 28-year-old man, and charged him with “attempting to introduce contraband into a prison and possession of the drug flunitrazopam, a muscle relaxant knows as ‘roofies,’” according to Reuters (the suspect claims he has never seen a drone before). Investigators are still seeking a second suspect.
While this may be the first known case of its kind, sneaking contraband into a prison is nothing new. In fact, the Reuters report says illegal cellphones, which are tossed over walls, have become a major concern, as they are used order hits, among other things.
Judging from this failed attempt, the suspects may have had better luck hiding a metal file inside a cake. But, sooner or later, somebody is going to make a successful attempt using a drone.
- The 64 best movies on Hulu right now
- All Warzone bunker locations: Where they are and what’s inside
- Meet the startup that transports human organs via drone
- Here’s the entire Destiny 2 story explained, up through Beyond Light
- The 50 best movies on Netflix right now