Apple has announced that selected programming from the Viacom-owned MTV, Nickelodeon, and Comedy Central networks is now available for purchase via the iTunes Music Store. As with other offerings, episodes are available for $1.99 each; the new additions bring iTunes’ television offerings to over 40 current and “classic” shows.
“Video has proven to be a smash hit on iTunes with over eight million videos sold,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s vice president of iTunes. “We’re thrilled to add 14 new shows from MTV Networks which include such a wide range of programming from MTV, Nickelodeon and Comedy Central.”
New shows available for purchase and download include:
- MTV:Laguna Beach,Gauntlet 2,Beavis & Butt-Head,Jackass,Punk’d,My Super Sweet 16, and Wonder Showzen.
- Nickelodeon:Dora the Explorer,SpongeBob SquarePants, and Zoey 101.
- Comedy Central:South Park,Comedy Central Stand-Up, and Drawn Together
- The N:South of Nowhere
The move marks the first time iTunes has offered pre-school programming (SpongeBob SquarePants), and, while iTunes has carried programming labelled
TV-14 (such as selected episodes of Battlestar Galactica or Law & Order), the new programming also marks the first time iTunes has offered programming which some viewers might routinely find objectionable or offensive (Jackass,South Park).
“The iTunes Music Store provides an innovative way for us to get our wide range of programming to our viewers,” said Jason Hirschhorn, MTV’s “Chief Digital Officer.” “MTV Networks’ brands feature some of the most popular programs in television today, and iTunes allows us to connect our content to even more audiences. We’re committed to having our programming on multiple platforms as our audience’s media consumption behavior evolves.”
- Cutting the cord? Let us help you find the best service for live-streaming TV
- Everything to know about Philo, the latest live TV streaming service
- Cord-cutting 101: How to quit cable for online streaming video
- The best shows on Hulu right now
- How to download podcasts and listen to them on Android or iOS