Cosmetic eye procedures have reached a new turning point as a doctor in Laguna Beach, California has managed to discover a way to permanently transform brown eyes to blue.
Utilizing lasers, the permanent procedure beams an intricate laser directly into the brown pigment found in the iris, essentially nullifying the pigment and, over time, shedding its melanin and revealing the blue color found underneath. The entire procedure takes about a minute, reportedly has no damaging effect on the eye, with the permanent pigment change taking about 2-3 weeks to complete.
A culmination of over ten years worth of work, the patent was filed by Dr. Gregg Homer in 2001, with the goal set for the cosmetic treatment to be available in the states by 2014. The whole procedure could set you back roughly $5000 — no word yet, however, on whether this treatment could be expanded upon to allow for other eye colors.
[Image courtesy of KTLA news in Los Angeles]
- Vision-improving nanoparticle eyedrops could end the need for glasses
- Vizio P-Series (P65-E1) review
- Thanks to Bitmoji Deluxe, my Bitmoji now gives me anxiety
- Bizarre laser treatment promises to zap away acne and skin disease
- Awesome Tech You Can’t Buy Yet: Magnetic bike pedals, undersea scooters, and more