Starting next Monday, you’ll be able to pre-order the XM42 handheld flamethrower for a pledge of just $700 — no background check required. Believe it or not, there are practically no restrictions on flamethrower ownership in the United States. Unless you live in California, it’s perfectly legal to purchase, own, and use a device that spits out fire.
Thing is, most flamethrowers you can easily get your hands on aren’t all that powerful. Most can only shoot flames just a few feet, and are intended for practical things like torching weeds in the cracks of your driveway.
The XM42, on the other hand, is a bit more robust. This beast is capable of spitting out a 25-foot stream of fire, and because it’s handheld, it doesn’t require you to wear a backpack full of fuel. To use it, you simply load up the refillable tank with regular ol’ gasoline, flip on the pilot light, and start torching. No need to worry about pressurization or mixing any special blend — 87 octane gasoline straight from the gas station is what it’s designed for.
Sounds like fun, right? What could possibly go wrong? Let’s see how long it takes before the ATF issues a cease and desist order.
- Terrifying handheld blaster can fire playing cards at 120 miles per hour
- Awesome Tech You Can’t Buy Yet: Infinitely reusable notepads and ingenious AC
- The best Nintendo Switch games (February 2020)
- Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III Hands-on: Making Impossible Shots Easy
- The best Nintendo Switch exclusives (February 2020)