Here’s the quick run-down: Both of the new phones are gorgeous, waterproof – which is no small deal – have better cameras than Samsung has ever produced before, and supped-up Snapdragon 820 processors making them ultra-powerful.
As for the S7 Edge, it’s far more comfortable to hold than it was last year, making its phablet-sized AMOLED screen the envy of every other smartphone. But here’s the bad stuff: They’re beautiful, sure, but you’re going to have to cover that beauty with a case because the Gorilla Glass they’re covered with makes them prone to cracking. Also, they’re fingerprint magnets.
Worst of all, though, both phones are carrier locked and come with way too much carrier bloatware. That’s a deal-breaker for a lot of folks, and a shame in this day and age. There’s more insight where that came from, so be sure to check out our S7 review here, and our S7 Edge review here.
Should the government subsidize Internet access?
Broadband Internet used to be a luxury, but these days, it’s closer to a necessity. At least, that’s how the FCC feels. Today in Washington, Tom Wheeler, head of the FCC, issued a finalized proposal for a $9.25 subsidy for low-income Americans to get broadband Internet access.
This plan is part of a proposed revamp of Lifeline, an existing program which helps low-income Americans get access to all sorts of telecommunications. The propose change would simply allow recipients to use the money for Internet, or a landline, or a mobile phone. Unfortunately, there’s a serious lack of Broadband Internet providers dishing out service for under $10, so it’s hard to know how helpful the subsidy will be.
The program will cost about $2.25 Billion, so it best be helping someone. The FCC says the program currently serves 12 Million people.
DOJ seeks reversal of NY decision favoring Apple
The US Justice Department is asking a New York Federal Court to overturn a recent ruling that protects Apple from having to unlock an iPhone involved in a drug case.
The New York judge’s decision made headlines last week because it was seen as having a potential impact on Apple’s current row with the FBI over an iPhone 5S used by one of the San Bernardino shooters. At the heart of the judges decision is the All Writs Act, and whether it allows certain government demands or not.
Department of Justice prosecutors say the judge’s decision marks an unprecedented limitation on the Federal Courts’ authority, while Apple says that misusing the All Writs Act will start us all down a slippery slope that puts our right to privacy in Jeopardy. And, so, the plot thickens. Apple is due back in court over the San Bernardino case on March 22, so you can bet this issue is going to blow up again right around that time.
Man, it is a dicey deal, indeed, and the whole world is watching. How do you think this is going to shake out? Be part of the conversation in the comments section below.
That’s it for DT Daily today, please take a second to like us on Facebook or subscribe to our YouTube channel. We’ll see you again right back here tomorrow.
- How to switch phone carriers like a pro and avoid early termination fees
- AT&T to stop selling location data to third parties after explosive report
- How to unlock a phone on each and every carrier
- CDMA vs. GSM: What’s the difference between these cellular standards?
- Samsung foldable phone will be harder to buy and cost up to $2,500, report says