Remember D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die, the Xbox One game from Deadly Premonition writer/director Hidetaka “Swery” Suehiro that was announced at E3 2013, just weeks after the console was first revealed? Well it’s coming soon. Very soon. September 19, 2014 soon. If you’re reading this news on the day it was published, that means tomorrow.
It’s a stealthy launch for a game that hasn’t seen a lot of press since it was first announced, though Swery’s quirky creative sensibilities should guarantee some manner of day one audience. The story puts players in the role of a time-traveling detective who’s working to solve and prevent his wife’s murder. The little we’ve seen has a visual novel sort of feel; heavy on exposition and quick-time event reflex exercises; if you’re looking for an action game, look elsewhere.
D4 is Kinect-friendly (but not Kinect-required), with both gesture and voice controls used to advance the story, which is presented episodically. It features a striking, cartoon-inspired art style and what looks to be an extremely bizarre series of scenarios.
You’ll be able to find out for yourself when D4 arrives in the Xbox Games Store on September 19 for $15. And you can read more about the game in a Microsoft-hosted Q&A with Swery on Xbox Wire.
- Xbox One vs. Xbox One S: Is a mid-tier upgrade worth your money?
- ‘Shadow of the Tomb Raider’ officially announced alongside teaser trailer
- Xbox One S vs. PlayStation 4 ‘Slim’: Which console is worth your money?
- Check out the best Xbox One deals and bundles for April 2018
- ‘Jade Empire,’ ‘The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind’ are playable on Xbox One