Sony is developing a Gran Turismo documentary focused on series creator and Polyphony Digital president Kazunori Yamauchi. KAZ: Pushing the Virtual Divide was announced at the Jalopnik Film Festival with a trailer that you can check out below. The doc will be directed by Tamir Moscovici. This will be Moscovici’s first feature-length effort, but he has some background in documenting car culture from his 2012 documentary short, Urban Outlaw, which profiles a Porsche customizer who turned his hobby into a business.
Don’t confuse KAZ: Pushing the Virtual Divide with that other Gran Turismo movie Sony is working on. There’s currently a fictional treatment of the racing series in development, per an announcement at August 2013’s Gamescom show in Germany. That movie is said to chronicle the experiences of an accomplished Gran Turismo player who eventually becomes a proper race car driver.
There’s no timetable for the release of KAZ, but it’s worth noting that Gran Turismo 6 is set for a December 6, 2013, release on PlayStation 3. That sure would be a good time to put this doc in front of fans, what with the extra public interest in the series that should be bubbling up right around then. Take a peek at the trailer for now, and drive safe.
- Audi e-tron Vision Gran Turismo concept drives off the screen and onto the track
- The next Gran Turismo game is already off to the races, producer says
- BMW’s Munich-brewed answer to the Porsche Panamera takes shape
- PS5: News, rumors, and everything we know
- Geneva 2018: What we saw from Audi, BMW, Porsche, and more