Midway looks like it might have a hit on its hands, trumpeting sales figures from NPD Group and others that list The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar as the top-selling PC game in both North America and Europe. According to NPD, the game’s standard edition and special edition managed to capture the top two sales slots last week, bumping perpetual top-seller World of Warcraft and its newer Burning Crusade expansion pack to third and fourth place, respectively. The Sims 2: Seasons expansion landed in the fifth slot.
According to Midway, LOTR Online has outsold all other PC games in Germany, the UK, and France, as well as North America.
“Following the most successful North American pre-order program in Midway’s history, The Lord of the Rings Online is off to a great start,” said Steve Allison, chief marketing officer, Midway, in a release. “As the positive reports and reviews continue to come in, gamers are settling into the game and experiencing Middle-earth as never before.”
- ‘Kerbal Space Program’ expansion lifts off March 13 on PC
- Prepare to die all over again in ‘Dark Souls: Remastered’
- ‘Grand Theft Auto V’ still burning rubber after 4 years, tops sales of 90 million
- Belgium’s Gaming Commission concludes that loot boxes are a form of gambling
- Everything we know about Marvel’s ‘Black Panther’ movie so far