Nintendo has partnered with Mercedes-Benz for a little cross-promotional action around Mario Kart 8, which comes to Wii U in North America this Sunday, May 30. The deal will bring a Mercedes GLA kart racer body (pictured above) into the game as downloadable content, though the add-on is only confirmed for Japan at this time. Perhaps not forever though.
As a Nintendo UK spokesperson told Joystiq, “As for the information relating to the distribution of the GLA kart for Mario Kart 8 outside Japan, we will be able to announce in the near future.” It may not be confirmation, but there’s certainly the suggestion here that the Mercedes GLA DLC will be taking a road trip to other parts of the globe.
The DLC will reportedly be a free download, and there’s some indication that a GLA tournament may be planned for fall 2014. You can read more about what we think of the Mercedes GLA — the actual car, that is — right here.
While the DLC may or may not ever leave Japan, a commercial from Mercedes-Benz Japan announcing the partnership is already making the rounds on the Internet. And it is delightful. No preamble, just watch.
- Mercedes-Benz is about to launch its electric car offensive
- Win a Mercedes-AMG C 43 Coupe on Super Bowl Sunday with your finger and a phone
- The 2019 Mercedes-Benz G-Class swaps its North Face parka for a tuxedo
- The svelte Lexus UX is an entry-level crossover that’s easier to park
- Daimler and Robert Bosch are teaming up to bring autonomous taxis to the road