Nintendo has partnered with Mercedes-Benz for a little cross-promotional action around Mario Kart 8, which comes to Wii U in North America this Sunday, May 30. The deal will bring a Mercedes GLA kart racer body (pictured above) into the game as downloadable content, though the add-on is only confirmed for Japan at this time. Perhaps not forever though.
As a Nintendo UK spokesperson told Joystiq, “As for the information relating to the distribution of the GLA kart for Mario Kart 8 outside Japan, we will be able to announce in the near future.” It may not be confirmation, but there’s certainly the suggestion here that the Mercedes GLA DLC will be taking a road trip to other parts of the globe.
The DLC will reportedly be a free download, and there’s some indication that a GLA tournament may be planned for fall 2014. You can read more about what we think of the Mercedes GLA — the actual car, that is — right here.
While the DLC may or may not ever leave Japan, a commercial from Mercedes-Benz Japan announcing the partnership is already making the rounds on the Internet. And it is delightful. No preamble, just watch.
- GTA isn’t fun in real life, so Mercedes-Benz wants to suggest safe parking spots
- The past, present, and future collide in Mercedes’ EQ Silver Arrow concept
- Mercedes opens U.S. factory to build Sprinter vans, Amazon is first in line
- 2019 Mercedes-Benz A-Class Sedan first drive review
- The 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE is ready for another Jurassic Park adventure