Metal Gear series creator Hideo Kojima took the stage during the opening hour of The Game Awards 2014 to share a worlds-first look at the online multiplayer mode in Kojima Productions’ upcoming Metal Gear Solid V.
Dubbed Metal Gear Online, it looks like a significant evolution of the online play that premiered with Metal Gear Solid IV: Guns of the Patriots based on the brief work-in-progress reel that Kojima shared. Squads of soldiers employ a mix of stealth and open combat tactics using all manner of over-the-top military toys, including an adorable puppy.
The trailer also features Snake riding on the back of a two-legged mech, a small taste of player customization, lots and lots of active camo, and a Snake/Revolver Ocelot selfie. We also get a subtitle from the official logo: Tactical Team Operations.
Metal Gear Online is included as part of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. It’s possible that it’ll also see a standalone release, much like its predecessor mode did in MGS IV.
- Konami says ‘Metal Gear Solid V’ nuclear event was triggered by mistake
- Here are the Russian indictments as read by Metal Gear’s Colonel Campbell
- ‘Metal Gear Survive’ is now available, and early impressions are mixed
- (Metal) gear up for greatness with the best new games of February
- Here’s everything we know about Hideo Kojima’s mysterious ‘Death Stranding’