The Game Awards has rolled around once again, awarding developers who made some of the year’s best games and unveiling a bunch of new trailers and game announcements. Geoff Keighley’s annual event is equal parts award show and video game showcase, and The Game Awards 2022 was no different.
- Hades II announced by Supergiant Games
- Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is out on March 17
- Hideo Kojima unveils Death Stranding 2
- Horizon Forbidden West will get an expansion set in LA next April
- New The Super Mario Bros. Movie clip stars a ton of Toads
- Crash Team Rumble announced by Activision
- Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon coming from FromSoftware
- Final Fantasy XVI Revenge trailer gives us our best look at the game yet
- Everything else
- Opening Act Preshow Announcements
Games like Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, Final Fantasy XVI, and Tekken 8 made appearances, while Death Stranding 2 and Armored Core VI were revealed for the first time. There were a ton of game reveals to take in, so here’s a roundup of every announcement from The Game Awards 2022.
Supergiant Games, the developer behind 2020’s critically acclaimed Hades, revealed its next game will be a sequel to Hades. We got a look at some beautiful animation and roguelike gameplay starring the Princess of the Underworld, and we learned that the game, officially titled Hades II, will enter early access next year.
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor got an awesome and intense trailer at the Game Awards 2022, and voice actor Cameron Monaghan came out afterward to hype up the game further. The game is launching on March 17, 2023.
It wouldn’t be a Geoff Keighley show without an appearance from Hideo Kojima, and thankfully Kojima had more to promote than a podcast this time around. We got the first trailer for the Death Stranding 2, a working title currently stylized as DS2, from Kojima Productions. This first teaser trailer is just as vague as Death Stranding’s were, as it features Lea Seydoux’s character traveling with al baby before talking with Norman Reedus’ Sam.
Like The Frozen Wilds for Horizon Zero Dawn, Burning Shores is a massive expansion for this year’s Horizon Forbidden West. The cinematic reveal trailer shows Aloy flying around a volcanic Los Angeles archipelago before a giant creature in the Hollywood sign attacks her. Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores will launch on April 19, 2023.
Keegan Michael-Key showed up during The Game Awards to show off a new clip from The Super Mario Bros. Movie. After joking about whether Toad has a hat or just a head, he showed off a clip of Mario walking through the Mushroom Kingdom amid ton of multicolored Toads. It’s our longest uncut look at footage of this animated feature yet and it does a great job highlighting Illumination’s interpretation of Mario’s world. The Super Mario Bros. Movie comes to theaters on April 7.
After two years of leaks and rumors regarding a new Crash Bandicoot multiplayer game, Activision finally revealed Crash Team Rumble at The Game Awards. Crash Bandicoot literally crashed the show to unveil the 4v4 multiplayer action game where players must shoot and jump around stages as classic Crash Bandicoot characters. Crash Team Rumble launches in 2023.
Hot off the heels of Elden Ring, FromSoftware was ready to tease its next game. “Feed the Fire. Let the Last Cinders Burn,” the trailer says before it becomes clear that it’s a new Armored Core game. We then see a lot of cinematic mech action that looks unlike anything FromSoftware has made in the last decade. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon will launch in 2023 for PC, PlayStation 4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S.
Final Fantasy XVI Executive Producer Naoki Yoshida revealed a new Final Fantasy XVI trailer titled Revenge at The Game Awards. This showing gave us a deeper look at the story and themes of revenge that run throughout the whole game. We saw more of the Eikons that players will fight against and some new bits of exploration and combat gameplay. To cap things off, Square Enix confirmed that Final Fantasy XVI would be released for PS5 on June 22, 2023.
- BioShock creator Ken Levine finally revealed his first title at Ghost Story Games: Judas.
- Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon, an isometric action-adventure game, was announced by PlatinumGames and launches on March 17, 2023.
- Nintendo showed off a sizzle reel of its announced 2023 games.
- Ghostbusters: Rise of the Ghost Lord got a trailer.
- Destiny 2’s Lightfall expansion got a new gameplay trailer.
- Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League got a new trailer revealing that an evil Batman is in the game, meaning that it will feature the late Kevin Conroy’s final performance. It will be released on May 26, 2023.
- Party Animals’ trailer showed off its various playable animals, the outfits they can wear, and the stages they fight on.
- The Last of Us Part 1 comes to PC on March 3, 2023.
- Celeste follow-up Earthblade was announced and launches in 2024.
- Dune Awakening got an in-engine trailer.
- Forspoken is getting a demo on PS5.
- Genshin Impact got a trailer teasing an upcoming character.
- Ascendant Studios and EA Original revealed Immortals of Aveum.
- Tekken 8 got a new trailer revealing lots of new fighters.
- Nightingale got a new trailer.
- An Xbox Game Pass trailer highlighted games available on the subscription service, as well as ones coming in 2023.
- Colossal Cave’s full 3D reimagining from Sierra Online founders Ken and Roberta Williams will be released on January 19, 2023.
- Baldur’s Gate 3 will finally leave early access and release in August 2023.
- Airship Syndicate and Digital Extremes announced a fantasy online action RPG called Wayfinder, which will get a beta next week.
- Fire Emblem: Engage got a new trailer confirming that a DLC starring Three Houses characters and more will launch throughout 2023.
- Sky got a trailer highlighting an upcoming in-game concert.
- Diablo IV’s June 6, 2023, release date was confirmed after a musical performance from Halsey and a new trailer.
- Amazon Games will publish Bandai Namco Studios’ anime-style MMORPG Blue Protocol for PC and current-gen consoles in 2023.
- Remnant II, a sequel to the sleeper hit multiplayer shooter Remnant: From the Ashes, was announced.
- Transformers: Reactivate was announced with a cinematic teaser trailer.
- Company of Heroes 3 got a live-action trailer
- Meta Quest game Behemoth VR was revealed with a cinematic trailer.
- Don’t Nod and Focus Entertainment announced action RPG Banishers: Ghost of a New Eden.
- Warhammer 40K: Space Marine II received a new gameplay trailer.
- Meet Your Maker’s April 4, 2023 release date was confirmed in a cinematic trailer.
- A gameplay overview trailer for Blood Bowl III was shown off.
- The next-gen update for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was highlighted in a launch trailer.
- We got a first look at The Lords of the Fallen gameplay.
- Epic Games and 505 Games announced Crime Boss: Rockay City, a first-person heist game game starring Michael Madsen and Kim Bassinger, Damion Poitier, Danny Trejo, Danny Glover, Michael Rooker, Vanilla Ice, and Chuck Norris. It will launch on March 28, 2023.
- The first raid for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II received its debut trailer.
- The Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty expansion got a new trailer that reveals Idris Elba is in the game.
- Rocket League: Frosty Fest begins December 14.
- Wild Hearts got a new trailer unveiling some of the giant new Kemono that players will fight.
- Dead Cells is getting Castlevania crossover DLC.
- Vampire Survivors is available now for iOS and Android for free.
- Netflix released the first trailer for Valiant Hearts: Coming Home.
- Returnal is coming to PC.
- Hellboy: Web of Wyrd was announced.
- Horizon: Call of the Mountain for PlayStation VR2 got a new trailer showing combat.
- Raw Fury announced survival horror game Post Trauma.
- Image-manipulated 3D-puzzle game Viewfinder was announced.
- Atomic Heart got a new trailer.
- Scars Above got a new trailer and a February 28, 2023, release date.
- Relic Hunters Legends got a new trailer.
- Among Us is getting a hide-and-seek mode on December 9.
- Arise: A Simple Story‘s developers announced the surrealistic exploration adventure game After Us. It launches in spring 2023.
- Replaced got a new trailer showcasing its beautiful visuals during both combat and quieter moments.
- Street Fighter 6 got a new trailer highlighting World Tour mode and previously unseen fighters, and confirming the leaked June 2, 2023, release date.
- Starfield: release date, trailers, gameplay, and more
- End your year on a charming note with this adorable Zelda-like game
- 2022 was excellent for sports games, depending where you looked
- 2022 was the rise (and fall) of the video game leaker
- 8 games you should pick up in the Steam Winter Sale