Sling TV, Dish Network’s live TV streaming service, has just branched out again, now supporting all devices using the Android TV platform, including Google’s Nexus Player and forthcoming Sony TVs. To sweeten the pot further, a new promotion will slash 50% off Nexus Player purchases from Google for customers who pre-pay for at least a three-month Sling TV subscription.
Android TV and the Nexus Player join an already distinguished group of devices that support the Sling TV service, including Roku, Roku TV, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Xbox One, Android and iOS devices, Macs and PCs. For those who already own a Nexus Player, Sling is offering a seven-day free trial to test it out.
Sling TV launched earlier this year with some buzz behind it due to the way it presents live TV channels to consumers. The over-the-top streaming service starts at a flat $20 per month without a contract, and includes 22 varied channels like ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, History, A&E, AMC, Food Network, HGTV, CNN, Bloomberg, Adult Swim, Lifetime and Disney Channel, among others. There are also elective add-on packs of extra channels for $5 apiece called Kids Extra, World News Extra, Hollywood Extra, Lifestyle Extra and Sports Extra. The live channels are complemented by on-demand and pay-per-view content, while HBO is a standalone add-on that costs an extra $15 per month.
The extra packs expand to channels like Epix, DIY, Cartoon Network, Travel Channel, Disney Junior and Cooking Channel.
Sling also announced the addition of ESPN Deportes to the Deportes Extra package of Spanish-language channels. Soccer fans will love this for the breadth of coverage that will include UEFA Champions League, UEFA Super Cup, UEFA Europa League, La Liga’s Copa del Rey Final and Supercopa. A select number of European FIFA World Cup qualifying matches and the 2016 UEFA Euro Cup are in the mix, too.
Nexus Player owners looking to check it out can do so now by taking these steps:
- On your Nexus Player, download the Sling app from the Google Play Store.
- Once downloaded, find the app on your home screen/Apps library.
- Launch app on Nexus Player and log in using your username and password.
- Sling TV: Everything you need to know
- Best live TV streaming services: PlayStation Vue, Hulu, Sling TV, and many more
- Sling TV offers free shows, a la carte subscription channels to Roku users
- PlayStation Vue: The master guide to Sony’s internet TV service
- What is YouTube TV? Here’s everything you need to know