The trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens has been scrutinized endlessly since its debut a few weeks ago, and one element that’s earning quite a bit of attention is Andy Serkis’ ominous narration that sets the tone for the footage. Rumors have surrounded the mysterious character (or characters) he’ll play in the film since his casting was first announced, and he finally shared a few details about his role in the film during a recent interview.
Speaking with Entertainment Weekly, Serkis said the narration heard in the trailer is the unaltered voice of his character — and that will be the only character he plays in the film. A recent rumor suggested that Serkis would play multiple characters in the film, with some of them created using the sort of motion-capture performance Serkis is well-known for providing in franchises like the Lord of the Rings and the Planet of the Apes films.
While Serkis debunked the multiple-character rumor, he wouldn’t reveal whether his sole character will actually involve an on-screen appearance for him or a motion-capture creation. However, he did tease that his character “has been through some stuff.”
Finally, and most importantly (to Serkis, at least), his character will indeed have an action figure.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens is scheduled to hit theaters December 18, 2015.
- ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’: Everything we know so far
- ‘The Mandalorian’: What we know about Jon Favreau’s live-action Star Wars series
- Disney Plus: Here’s what we know so far about the upcoming streaming service
- Marvel’s streaming Loki series gets a plot summary and a showrunner
- ‘Aquaman’ movie: Everything we know about it so far