Guillermo Del Toro and Carlton Cuse’s hit horror series The Strain will return for another terrifying season, thanks to a renewal order from FX.
The second-season order was announced with seven episodes still remaining in the first season of the series, which currently ranks as the most popular new series on cable among adults ages 18-49. The second season will consist of 13 episodes and is expected to premiere next summer.
Based on a trilogy of novels penned by del Toro and Chuck Hogan, The Strain follows a group of humans fighting to contain a horrifying virus that turns people into deadly, vampire-like creatures. The first episode of the series was directed by Del Toro, and set a record as the most-watched series premiere in the network’s history with 12.7 million viewers.
“I am thrilled! Another season to spread the virus!” said del Toro in a statement accompanying the announcement. “Working with Carlton, Chuck and FX has been immensely rewarding and we have such sights to unveil in the upcoming episodes—the blood hits the fan on this one, mankind becomes an endangered species.”
The first season of The Strain will be released on DVD and Blu-ray in December.
- ‘The Orville’ season 2 gets a new, drama-heavy teaser trailer
- Guillermo del Toro to pull the strings behind Netflix’s stop-motion ‘Pinocchio’
- ‘True Detective’ season 3: Everything we know about the HBO series’ return
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ season 2: Everything we know so far
- ‘The Walking Dead’ isn’t quite done with Andrew Lincoln yet