Hot on the heels of a report revealing the near-finalized cast for the upcoming Ghostbusters reboot comes an official announcement of the film’s release date. The still-untitled film — which might just be titled Ghostbusters — hits theaters July 22, 2016.
Director Paul Feig revealed the release date for the film on Twitter, mere hours after confirming the four actresses in final negotiations for the lead roles.
In other news, #Ghostbusters will be hitting theaters July 22, 2016. Save the date!
— Paul Feig (@paulfeig) January 28, 2015
Set to star Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones, and Kate McKinnon, the film will be a complete reboot of the franchise, according to Feig, with few connections (if any) to the original franchise and its stars. New York City will once again serve as the setting for the film, so it will have a geographic connection to the 1984 film at the very least.
The July 22 weekend is currently shared with a big-screen reboot of ’90s kids’ action series Power Rangers and the first chapter of director Guy Ritchie’s planned series of King Arthur films.
Production on the Ghostbusters reboot is expected to begin in the near future.
- ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’: Everything we know about the ‘Homecoming’ sequel
- ‘Wonder Woman 1984’: Everything we know so far
- ‘Black Panther 2’: Everything we know about the sequel so far
- ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’: Everything we know so far
- The future of Star Wars: All the known movies and TV series coming your way