After a tumultuous development cycle, Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man began filming this week, and the studio has already released the first official image from the long-awaited movie.
The photo features star Paul Rudd looking a little rough around the edges as he stands near an equally beat-up van. San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge extends into the distance behind him.
In the film, Rudd plays thief Scott Lang, who teams up with brilliant scientist Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) to stop one of Pym’s rivals from abusing a powerful invention and putting the world at risk. Given the ability to change his size while increasing his strength, Lang must pull off a fantastic heist in order to become the Marvel cinematic universe’s next great hero.
Originally announced back in 2006, the film has traveled a troubled road to the big screen, with director Edgar Wright departing the project back in May of this year. The 12th film in Marvel’s cinematic universe, Ant-Man is positioned to kick off “Phase Three” of the studio’s timeline of interconnected films.
Ant-Man is currently scheduled to hit theaters July 17, 2015, and is directed by Peyton Reed (Bring It On, Yes Man). Along with Rudd and Douglas, the film also stars Evangeline Lilly, Corey Stoll, Bobby Cannavale, Michael Peña, Abby Ryder Fortson, Judy Greer, David Dastmalchian, Wood Harris, John Slattery, Gregg Turkington and T.I., the Peyton Reed-directed film hits theaters on July 17, 2015.
- Marvel’s ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Super Bowl trailer unites the survivors
- Marvel’s streaming Loki series gets a plot summary and a showrunner
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’: Everything we know about the ‘Infinity War’ sequel
- Marvel’s ‘Doctor Strange’ sequel conjures up a director and a release date
- ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’: Everything we know about the ‘Homecoming’ sequel