The film casts Homeland actor Rupert Friend as a genetically engineered assassin on the trail of a woman who might hold the key to unlocking his mysterious past, including the secrets behind the program that created him and other lethal agents like him. Star Trek actor Zachary Quinto plays a supporting role in the film, along with a cast of mostly unknowns including Hannah Ware (Betrayal), Thomas Kretschmann (Avengers: Age of Ultron), Dan Bakkedahl (The Heat) and Ciaran Hinds (The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby).
Based on the Eidos Interactive (and later Square Enix) game series, Hitman: Agent 47 is the second attempt to turn the game franchise into a big-screen property after 2007’s Hitman (starring Timothy Olyphant) turned a modest profit in the worldwide market but was a critical disappointment.
Hitman: Agent 47 is directed by Aleksander Bach and hits theaters August 28.
- ‘Hitman 2’ makes a target of the unkillable Sean Bean, but you’d better not miss
- Capcom will catapult Mega Man to the big screen with a live-action movie
- ‘John Wick 3: Parabellum’ — here’s everything we know so far
- The most anticipated new TV series for 2018 and beyond
- Steve Carell will return to TV for Apple’s morning news drama