The latest trailer not only lays out a bit more of the story that propels Reeves’ hard-luck hitman back into the killing business, but it also offers a pretty impressive taste of how the sequel plans to up the ante on action the second time around.
John Wick: Chapter 2 is directed by Chad Stahelski, who co-directed the first film, and finds Reeves’ character heading off to Rome to deal with a former associate, an international assassins’ guild, and a ruthless crime lord. The film also brings back screenwriter Derek Kolstad, who scripted the 2014 film.
Along with Reeves as the titular killer with an affinity for black suits, the cast also includes Wanted actor Common, as well as Riccardo Scamarcio, Laurence Fishburne, Ruby Rose, and Franco Nero. Several cast members from the original film also reprise their roles, including Bridget Moynahan, Lance Reddick, John Leguizamo, and Ian McShane.
Made for just $20 million, John Wick was released in October 2014 and was a surprise hit that earned more than $86 million over its 13-week run in theaters. It also received positive reviews from professional critics and general audiences alike. The film was celebrated for its innovative fight choreography and influences drawn from classic action films — both Eastern and Western.
John Wick: Chapter 2 hits theaters February 10, 2017.
- Venom: Let There Be Carnage trailer delivers chaos, comedy, and messy breakfast
- The next two John Wick films are confirmed and will be filmed back-to-back
- The New Mutants has a new trailer, so Disney’s X-Men spinoff is still happening
- Excellent! Here’s the first trailer for Bill & Ted Face the Music
- Watch the new, mind-twisting trailer for Christopher Nolan’s Tenet