The final trailer for The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies debuted last week, and now that we’re inching closer to the film’s arrival in theaters, the first (of what’s likely to be many) television spots for the conclusion to Peter Jackson’s latest Middle-earth trilogy has found its way online.
The new teaser is all about choosing a side in the impending battle for Lonely Mountain and its vast riches. While it’s pretty clear whose side some of the dwarves are on (their own), the final chapter of the saga finds Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) caught between competing factions. With dwarves on one side, elves and humans on another, and an army of goblins and orcs looming large on the horizon, there’s precious little a hobbit can do to turn the tide — or so everyone thinks.
While the J.R.R. Tolkien novel the trilogy is based on devoted a relatively short amount of story to this final, climactic battle, Jackson has given it an entire movie. And from the footage in the trailer, the acclaimed filmmaker’s attention to this conflict hasn’t been wasted.
The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies hits 3D, IMAX 3D, and standard theaters December 17.
- Avenged Sevenfold is down with Beach Boys covers, but not with going to Mars
- ‘Jumanji’ wins the weekend box office again as ‘The Post’ finally goes wide
- How new wave legend Nick Heyward transformed his musical doodles into songs
- Here’s everything we know about ‘The Predator’ movie
- Naked but never nihilistic, Starsailor charts a course for indie soul